Devotion: Philippians 2:6-8
Why did Christ have to become man? Hebrews 2:9, 14-16 gives us the answer. With glory and honor and by the grace of God; Jesus had to taste death for everyone, to destroy him (Satan) who had the power of death, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. Christ laid aside His own glory, the glory that was His… to become a what? a bond servant…a slave… showing absolute, total submission to His Father.
The depth of His slavery accomplished salvation for us. God made His Son’s soul an offering for our sin. Jesus poured out His soul unto death and although sinless; was numbered with transgressors. On that cruel cross; He bore the sins of many. Precious one; You and I are included in that number.
Here are the steps of Christ’s humiliation found in today’s scripture.
- Form of God (vs 6)
- Equal with God (vs 6)
- Made Himself of no reputation (vs. 7)
- taking on form of bondservant (vs.7)
- coming in the likeness of man (vs. 7)
- found in appearance as a man (vs 8)
- became obedient to the point of death (vs. 8)
- even death on a cross (vs. 8) After Christ’s humiliation was complete; God fulfilled the exaltation of His only begotten Son. He was restored to full honor and glory.
Here are the steps of Christ’s Exaltation.
- God has highly exalted Him. (vs. 9)
- given Him the name which is above every name. (vs. 9)
- at the Name of Jesus; every knee should bow (vs. 10)
- Every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (vs. 10)
You see dear reader; the humiliation accomplished the exaltation. You and I are the beneficiary of Christ’s horrific humiliation.
Prayer in Motion:
No matter what humiliation may come; I pray I will exalt You Lord, both now and always. It’s my deepest desire to pattern my life after the One who gave His for me. In Jesus Name. Amen