Do you know people who are pressing on; in spite of their circumstances? How does one keep from becoming sequestered by the difficult; yes even painful events of life?
The Greek Word for press is dioko which means to pursue, ensue, follow after, press forward. In today’s verses; Paul uses the word press twice. In verse twelve he says “I press on.” Why?…
In order to lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
For what has Christ laid hold of you? Why is He allowing “these things” in your life right now?
In verse fourteen; Paul says I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Vines Expository Dictionary says the Greek word for press is dioko. Diaoko is used as a metaphor implying a foot-race. It’s talking of speeding on earnestly.
I realize there are some of you who have been devastated by your life event(s). How can you go forward with life; when your mind and heart are stuck in quick sand? You feel like you can’t even move one foot in front of the other; much less speed earnestly in a foot race.
In verse thirteen Paul tells us two specific ways he presses on. He forgets what lies behind and reaches forward to those things which are ahead.
- Will you choose to forget what lies behind? If you dwell in the past; the quick sand of your dwelling will slowly but surely bring you down.
- a. You forget about the joy. and peace God has provided.
- b. You are consumed with what has happened or been done to you.
- If you will release the past; you will be freed up from the weight of it. You are free to reach forward to what lies ahead.
- a. The constant rehearsing of your past causes your present to be frozen in place.
- b. Holding onto the past doesn’t hurt the other person or people involved. It only hurts you.
Prayer in Motion:
Lord, please help me press on, to speed on earnestly. May I run the race in such a way as to win the prize. When people try to bring condemnation to me; help me remember; “There is therefore no condemnation, for those who are in Christ Jesus.” May I press on when I am tired. Help me continually reach forward to what lies ahead. You hold my future both now and always. I press on with my Lord and my God. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen!