Some of us are more contemplative and others of us are more progressive. We must not be so active that we neglect communion with our Lord and Savior nor our brothers and sisters in Christ. We should not be so contemplative that we become impractical. We ought to abound in service and do good abundantly to our fellow men, yet we must no fail in worship, in spiritual reverence, in meek discipleship and quiet contemplation.
Which category do you fall into? Are you the contemplative type or the progressive type? Some of you want to make things happen and happen right now! Others of you want to think about and meditate on things for a while. You probably don’t have to marinate too long on those questions, to figure out to which category you belong.
One thinks the other to be selfish, domineering or controlling in their way of thinking. God made you into His image. It takes both the contemplative and the progressive to accomplish God’s Kingdom work. Give out mercy and grace to the one who is the opposite of you.
As you do the work God has given your hands to do, take care of your family responsibilities. Examine yourselves to see if you are peacefully working together to glorify your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. You are only responsible for your actions and reactions.
It’s a sad day when the work itself is prized and the inner life forgotten.
- The committee is attended, but the devotional meeting forsaken.
- The opening prayer at our meetings are regarded as a very proper thing; however, there are times it’s just a formality.
- It will be a sad day for us when in our yeses, our willingness to do, we attempt to do everything without the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.
You can be progressive in the power and strength of God’s Holy Spirit. Read His Word. Pray and listen for His voice. Don’t just ask Him to bless what you decided to do in your own flesh.
- Be progressive in your prayer life. Also be contemplative.
- Be progressive in your Bible study. Also be contemplative.
- Be empowered and strengthened by the Holy Spirit within you. Progressive + Contemplative = Doing God’s Will
Listen for the voice of your Lord with the ear of a disciple. Meditate on His Word. Then go do what He tells you to do.
Prayer in Motion:
Dear Lord, help me to be contemplative and then progressive, in that order. May I listen first and then do what You tell me to do. In Jesus Name. Amen